Definition of acknowledge
- declare to be true or admit the existence or reality or truth of; "He admitted his errors", "She acknowledged that she might have forgotten". Synonyms: admit. Antonyms: deny.
- report the receipt of; "The program committee acknowledged the submission of the authors of the paper". Synonyms: receipt.
- express recognition of the presence or existence of, or acquaintance with; "He never acknowledges his colleagues when they run into him in the hallway", "She acknowledged his complement with a smile", "it is important to acknowledge the work of others in one's own writing". Synonyms: notice.
- express obligation, thanks, or gratitude for; "We must acknowledge the kindness she showed towards us". Synonyms: recognise, recognize.
- accept as legally binding and valid; "acknowledge the deed".
- accept (someone) to be what is claimed or accept his power and authority; "The Crown Prince was acknowledged as the true heir to the throne", "We do not recognize your gods". Synonyms: know, recognise, recognize.
appreciate, attorn, avouch, avow, cite, concede, confess, fink, mention, profess, squeal, sustain.
Words nearby acknowledge
Rhymes with acknowledge
Start with acknowledge
acknowledgedly, acknowledged, acknowledges, acknowledgement.
More information about acknowledge
Scrabble and Words With Friends points
- acknowledge is a valid Scrabble US word, worth 22 points
- acknowledge is a valid Scrabble UK word, worth 22 points
- acknowledge is a valid Words With Friends word, worth 26 points