Definition of tube
- conduit consisting of a long hollow object (usually cylindrical) used to hold and conduct objects or liquids or gases. Synonyms: tubing.
- electronic device consisting of a system of electrodes arranged in an evacuated glass or metal envelope. Synonyms: electron tube, thermionic tube, thermionic vacuum tube, thermionic valve, vacuum tube.
- a hollow cylindrical shape. Synonyms: pipe.
- (anatomy) any hollow cylindrical body structure. Synonyms: tube-shaped structure.
- an electric railway operating below the surface of the ground (usually in a city); "in Paris the subway system is called the `metro' and in London it is called the `tube' or the `underground'". Synonyms: metro, subway, subway system, underground.
- provide with a tube or insert a tube into.
- convey in a tube; "inside Paris, they used to tube mail".
- ride or float on an inflated tube; "We tubed down the river on a hot summer day".
- place or enclose in a tube.
barrel, blowgun, blowpipe, blowtube, cannula, capillary, catheter, cochlea, coil, column, diode, drain, hose, hosepipe, klystron, magnetron, mouthpiece, pentode, pipage, pipe, piping, salpinx, silencer, siphon, stem, stent, straw, syphon, tetrode, triode, tubule, vas, venturi, vessel, wellpoint.
Words nearby tube
cube, lube, rube, tub, tuba, tubed, tuber, tune.
Rhymes with tube
boob, cube, lube, rube.
Start with tube
tubercles, tuberculins, tubework, tubenoses, tuberose, tuberculoses, tuberculous, tuberculosis, tubeworks, tubed, tuberculate, tubeless, tubeworm, tuberoses, tuberosities, tuberous, tubenose, tuberculated, tubeworms, tubers, tubelike, tuberculoid, tubes, tuberculin, tuberculars, tuber, tubercular, tubercle, tuberosity, tuberoid.
End with tube
phototube, blowtube, flashtube, drawtube, buckytube, nanotube.