Definition of gas
- the state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by: relatively low density and viscosity; relatively great expansion and contraction with changes in pressure and temperature; the ability to diffuse readily; and the spontaneous tendency to become distributed uniformly throughout any container. Synonyms: gaseous state.
- a fluid in the gaseous state having neither independent shape nor volume and being able to expand indefinitely.
- a volatile flammable mixture of hydrocarbons (hexane and heptane and octane etc.) derived from petroleum; used mainly as a fuel in internal-combustion engines. Synonyms: gasolene, gasoline, petrol.
- a state of excessive gas in the alimentary canal. Synonyms: flatulence, flatulency.
- a pedal that controls the throttle valve; "he stepped on the gas". Synonyms: accelerator, accelerator pedal, gas pedal, gun, throttle.
- a fossil fuel in the gaseous state; used for cooking and heating homes. Synonyms: natural gas.
afterdamp, air, argonon, arsine, atmosphere, butane, butene, butylene, chlorine, crow, cyanogen, ethene, ethylene, exhaust, firedamp, fluorine, formaldehyde, fumes, gloat, hydrogen, inhalant, lachrymator, lacrimator, mephitis, methanal, methane, napalm, nitrogen, oxygen, ozone, phosgene, phosphine, propane, propene, propylene, puff, sublimate, teargas, triumph.
Words nearby gas
aas, as, das, eas, fas, ga, gab, gad, gag, gal, gam, gao, gap, gar, gash, gasp, gat, gay, gps, oas, pas, ras, sas, vas.
Rhymes with gas
alas, alsace, amass, ass, bass, brass, chasse, class, crass, crevasse, das, glass, grass, harass, impasse, lass, last, mass, masse, morass.