Definition of controlling
- able to control or determine policy; "a controlling interest in the firm".
- exercise authoritative control or power over; "control the budget", "Command the military forces". Synonyms: command, control.
- lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake", "hold your tongue", "hold your temper", "control your anger". Synonyms: check, contain, control, curb, hold, hold in, moderate.
- handle and cause to function; "do not operate machinery after imbibing alcohol", "control the lever". Synonyms: control, operate.
- control (others or oneself) or influence skillfully, usually to one's advantage; "She manipulates her boss", "She is a very controlling mother and doesn't let her children grow up", "The teacher knew how to keep the class in line", "she keeps in line". Synonyms: control, keep in line, manipulate.
- check or regulate (a scientific experiment) by conducting a parallel experiment or comparing with another standard; "Are you controlling for the temperature?". Synonyms: control, verify.
- verify by using a duplicate register for comparison; "control an account". Synonyms: control.
- be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something; "He verified that the valves were closed", "See that the curtains are closed", "control the quality of the product". Synonyms: ascertain, assure, check, control, ensure, insure, see, see to it.
- have a firm understanding or knowledge of; be on top of; "Do you control these data?". Synonyms: control, master.
abnegate, aviate, bate, becharm, bound, card, care, catch, channelise, channelize, charm, cinch, confine, conquer, control, corner, counteract, countercheck, cover, crucify, curb, damp, deal, deny, dial, direct, dominate, drive, fly, gate, govern, guide, handle, harness, head, hold, ingratiate, inhibit, limit, manage, maneuver, manoeuver, manoeuvre, master, monopolise, monopolize, mortify, pedal, pilot, point, preoccupy, preside, proof, proofread, regiment, rein, relay, restrain, restrict, rule, steer, subdue, submarine, suppress, synchronise, synchronize, tease, thermostat, throttle, train, trammel, treadle, turn.
bowling, consoling, growling, rolling, trolling.
Your query has returned 224 words, which include anagrams of controlling as well as other shorter words that can be made using the letters included in controlling.
The words in this list can be used in games such as Scrabble, Words with Friends and other similar games.