Definition of true
- consistent with fact or reality; not false; ; - B. Russell; "the story is true", "it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true", "the true meaning of the statement". Antonyms: false.
- accurately placed or thrown; "his aim was true", "he was dead on target". Synonyms: dead on target.
- devoted (sometimes fanatically) to a cause or concept or truth; "true believers bonded together against all who disagreed with them".
- expressing or given to expressing the truth; "a true statement", "gave truthful testimony", "a truthful person". Synonyms: truthful. Antonyms: untruthful.
- conforming to definitive criteria; "the horseshoe crab is not a true crab", "Pythagoras was the first true mathematician".
- worthy of being depended on; "a dependable worker", "an honest working stiff", "a reliable sourcSFLe of information", "he was true to his word", "I would be true for there are those who trust me". Synonyms: dependable, honest, reliable.
- not pretended; sincerely felt or expressed; "genuine emotion", "her interest in people was unfeigned", "true grief". Synonyms: genuine, unfeigned.
- rightly so called; "true courage", "a spirit which true men have always admired", "a true friend".
- determined with reference to the earth's axis rather than the magnetic poles; "true north is geographic north".
- having a legally established claim; "the legitimate heir", "the true and lawful king". Synonyms: lawful, rightful.
- in tune; accurate in pitch; "a true note". Synonyms: on-key.
- accurately fitted; level; "the window frame isn't quite true". Synonyms: straight.
- proper alignment; the property possessed by something that is in correct or proper alignment; "out of true".
- make level, square, balanced, or concentric; "true up the cylinder of an engine". Synonyms: true up.
Words nearby true
rue, tree, truce.
Rhymes with true
accrue, adieu, ado, anew, anew, askew, babu, baku, ballyhoo, bamboo, bleu, blue, boo, brew, canoe, cebu, chew, chou, clue, construe.
Start with true
trueing, trueborn, trueloves, trues, truepenny, truebred, trueblues, truelove, truehearted, truer, truest, truepennies, trueheartedness, truenesses, trueness, trueblue, trued.
End with true
misconstrue, untrue, construe.