Definition of trip
- a journey for some purpose (usually including the return); "he took a trip to the shopping center".
- a hallucinatory experience induced by drugs; "an acid trip".
- an accidental misstep threatening (or causing) a fall; "he blamed his slip on the ice", "the jolt caused many slips and a few spills". Synonyms: slip.
- an exciting or stimulating experience. Synonyms: head trip.
- a catch mechanism that acts as a switch; "the pressure activates the tripper and releases the water". Synonyms: tripper.
- a light or nimble tread; "he heard the trip of women's feet overhead".
- an unintentional but embarrassing blunder; "he recited the whole poem without a single trip", "he arranged his robes to avoid a trip-up later", "confusion caused his unfortunate misstep". Synonyms: misstep, stumble, trip-up.
- miss a step and fall or nearly fall; "She stumbled over the tree root". Synonyms: stumble.
- cause to stumble; "The questions on the test tripped him up". Synonyms: trip up.
- make a trip for pleasure. Synonyms: jaunt, travel.
- put in motion or move to act; "trigger a reaction", "actuate the circuits". Synonyms: activate, actuate, set off, spark, spark off, touch off, trigger, trigger off.
- get high, stoned, or drugged; "He trips every weekend". Synonyms: get off, trip out, turn on.
commute, errand, fall, flight, founder, journey, junket, junketeer, peregrinate, ply, run, spill, travel, trek, tumble, visit.
Words nearby trip
atrip, drip, grip, rip, strip, thrip, tip, trap, trig, trim, trio, tripe.
Rhymes with trip
blip, chip, clip, dip, drip, equip, flip, grip, gyp, hip, ip, kip, lip, microchip, nip, outstrip, pip, quip, rip, scrip.
Start with trip
tripletails, tripinnately, triptan, triplicates, tripedal, triplicate, tripos, triples, trippier, triply, trips, trippingly, trippiest, trippy, triptych, tripart, tripartite, tripody, triptans, tripper, triplicating, triplets, triphthongs, tripping, triple, triptane, tripoli, tripodal, tripwire, tripodic, tripled, triposes, triplane, triptycas, triplications, trippet, trippings, triplicated, tripe, triploblastic, and 35 more.
End with trip
cantrip, tearstrip, outstrip, fieldstrip, dragstrip, strip, atrip, airstrip, roundtrip, filmstrip.