Definition of translation
- a written communication in a second language having the same meaning as the written communication in a first language. Synonyms: interlingual rendition, rendering, version.
- a uniform movement without rotation.
- the act of changing in form or shape or appearance; "a photograph is a translation of a scene onto a two-dimensional surface". Synonyms: transformation.
- (mathematics) a transformation in which the origin of the coordinate system is moved to another position but the direction of each axis remains the same.
- (genetics) the process whereby genetic information coded in messenger RNA directs the formation of a specific protein at a ribosome in the cytoplasm.
- rewording something in less technical terminology.
- the act of uniform movement. Synonyms: displacement.
alteration, caption, crib, displacement, metamorphosis, mistranslation, permutation, pony, retroversion, revision, shift, subtitle, supertitle, surtitle, transfiguration, trot.
Rhymes with translation
abbreviation, abdication, aberration, ablation, abnegation, abomination, abrogation, acceleration, acclamation, acclimation, accommodation, accreditation, accumulation, accusation, accusation, acidification, activation, adaptation, adjudication, administration.
Start with translation
End with translation