Definition of tramp
- a disreputable vagrant; "a homeless tramp", "he tried to help the really down-and-out bums". Synonyms: bum, hobo.
- a person who engages freely in promiscuous sex. Synonyms: swinger.
- a foot traveler; someone who goes on an extended walk (for pleasure). Synonyms: hiker, tramper.
- a heavy footfall; "the tramp of military boots".
- a commercial steamer for hire; one having no regular schedule. Synonyms: tramp steamer.
- a long walk usually for exercise or pleasure; "she enjoys a hike in her spare time". Synonyms: hike, hiking.
- travel on foot, especially on a walking expedition; "We went tramping about the state of Colorado".
- walk heavily and firmly, as when weary, or through mud; "Mules plodded in a circle around a grindstone". Synonyms: footslog, pad, plod, slog, trudge.
- cross on foot; "We had to tramp the creeks".
- move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment; "The gypsies roamed the woods", "roving vagabonds", "the wandering Jew", "The cattle roam across the prairie", "the laborers drift from one town to the next", "They rolled from town to town". Synonyms: cast, drift, ramble, range, roam, roll, rove, stray, swan, vagabond, wander.
backpacker, dosser, gad, gallivant, maunder, packer, slop, slosh, splash, splosh, squelch, squish, trudge.
Words nearby tramp
cramp, ramp, tamp, tram, trap, trump.
Rhymes with tramp
amp, camp, champ, clamp, cramp, damp, decamp, encamp, gamp, lamp, ramp, revamp, stamp, tamp, vamp.
Start with tramp
tramping, trampolinists, tramped, trampoliner, trampiest, trampoline, trampler, tramps, trampy, trampolinist, tramplers, tramples, trampling, trampoliners, trampish, trampier, trampolining, trampolinings, tramper, trampers, trampolines, trample, trampled.