Definition of save
- (sports) the act of preventing the opposition from scoring; "the goalie made a brilliant save", "the relief pitcher got credit for a save".
- save from ruin, destruction, or harm. Synonyms: relieve, salvage, salve.
- to keep up and reserve for personal or special use; "She saved the old family photographs in a drawer". Synonyms: preserve.
- bring into safety; "We pulled through most of the victims of the bomb attack". Synonyms: bring through, carry through, pull through.
- spend less; buy at a reduced price.
- accumulate money for future use; "He saves half his salary". Synonyms: lay aside, save up.
- make unnecessary an expenditure or effort; "This will save money", "I'll save you the trouble", "This will save you a lot of time". Synonyms: make unnecessary.
- save from sins. Synonyms: deliver, redeem.
- refrain from harming. Synonyms: spare.
- spend sparingly, avoid the waste of; "This move will save money", "The less fortunate will have to economize now". Synonyms: economise, economize.
- retain rights to; "keep my job for me while I give birth", "keep my seat, please", "keep open the possibility of a merger". Synonyms: hold open, keep, keep open.
- record data on a computer; "boot-up instructions are written on the hard disk". Synonyms: write.
cache, conserve, deliver, economise, economize, enter, favor, favour, hoard, husband, overwrite, record, rescue, scrimp, skimp, stash, stint.
Words nearby save
aave, cave, have, lave, nave, pave, rave, sade, safe, sage, sake, sale, salve, same, sane, sate, saved, saver, saxe, shave, slave, soave, stave, suave, wave.
Rhymes with save
behave, brave, cave, concave, crave, deprave, engrave, enslave, grave, knave, lave, misbehave, misbehave, nave, pave, rave, shave, slave, stave, waive.
Start with save
saveloy, saves, saver, savers, saved, saveloys, saveable.
End with save