Definition of house
- a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families; "he has a house on Cape Cod", "she felt she had to get out of the house".
- the members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments; "he worked for a brokerage house". Synonyms: business firm, firm.
- the members of a religious community living together.
- the audience gathered together in a theatre or cinema; "the house applauded", "he counted the house".
- an official assembly having legislative powers; "a bicameral legislature has two houses".
- aristocratic family line; "the House of York".
- play in which children take the roles of father or mother or children and pretend to interact like adults; "the children were playing house".
- (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided. Synonyms: mansion, planetary house, sign, sign of the zodiac, star sign.
- the management of a gambling house or casino; "the house gets a percentage of every bet".
- a social unit living together; "he moved his family to Virginia", "It was a good Christian household", "I waited until the whole house was asleep", "the teacher asked how many people made up his home". Synonyms: family, home, household, menage.
- a building where theatrical performances or motion-picture shows can be presented; "the house was full". Synonyms: theater, theatre.
- a building in which something is sheltered or located; "they had a large carriage house".
- contain or cover; "This box houses the gears".
- provide housing for; "The immigrants were housed in a new development outside the town". Synonyms: domiciliate, put up.
accommodate, bagnio, bathhouse, boardinghouse, bungalow, cabin, chalet, chamber, chapterhouse, cinema, corp, corporation, cottage, courthouse, dealer, dollhouse, duplex, farmhouse, gatehouse, guesthouse, hacienda, hall, home, icehouse, lodge, maisonette, maisonnette, manse, mansion, opera, publisher, rehouse, residence, royalty, saltbox, smokehouse, soddy, villa.
Words nearby house
bouse, chouse, douse, horse, hose, louse, mouse, ouse, rouse, souse.
Rhymes with house
blouse, boathouse, bouse, crouse, douse, dowse, espouse, gauss, grouse, laos, louse, mouse, rouse, spouse, strauss.
Start with house
housewares, houseboats, housebreakings, houseboat, housepainters, housefronts, houseguest, housekeepings, houselessness, housebreaking, householders, housework, housedresses, houseboaters, houseleeks, houseful, households, housewife, housebroke, housefuls, housemen, housetop, houseled, housewiferies, houser, housebreak, housecleanings, houseparent, housewives, houses, housecleaned, housebreakers, housed, househusband, housesitting, housewarming, housels, housecarls, housekeeps, housepersons, and 63 more.
End with house
pilothouse, pesthouse, longhouse, courthouse, playhouse, gatehouse, townhouse, tollhouse, hothouse, roundhouse, roughhouse, poorhouse, packinghouse, unhouse, motherhouse, chophouse, blockhouse, outhouse, whorehouse, bakehouse, teahouse, icehouse, countinghouse, jailhouse, cookhouse, warehouse, clubhouse, dollhouse, wellhouse, meetinghouse, baghouse, bunkhouse, glasshouse, powerhouse, rehouse, firehouse, boathouse, pothouse, washhouse, deckhouse, and 46 more.