Definition of exercise
- the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit; "the doctor recommended regular exercise", "he did some exercising", "the physical exertion required by his work kept him fit". Synonyms: exercising, physical exercise, physical exertion, workout.
- the act of using; "he warned against the use of narcotic drugs", "skilled in the utilization of computers". Synonyms: employment, usage, use, utilisation, utilization.
- systematic training by multiple repetitions; "practice makes perfect". Synonyms: drill, practice, practice session, recitation.
- a task performed or problem solved in order to develop skill or understanding; "you must work the examples at the end of each chapter in the textbook". Synonyms: example.
- (usually plural) a ceremony that involves processions and speeches; "academic exercises".
- put to use; "exert one's power or influence". Synonyms: exert.
- carry out or practice; as of jobs and professions; "practice law". Synonyms: do, practice, practise.
- give a workout to; "Some parents exercise their infants", "My personal trainer works me hard", "work one's muscles", "this puzzle will exercise your mind". Synonyms: work, work out.
- do physical exercise; "She works out in the gym every day". Synonyms: work out.
- learn by repetition; "We drilled French verbs every day", "Pianists practice scales". Synonyms: drill, practice, practise.
abuse, application, bodybuilding, brushup, calisthenics, callisthenics, commencement, development, exploitation, graduation, isometrics, manual, misuse, musclebuilding, play, practice, press, recycling, rehearsal, review, scrimmage, set, shadowboxing, shamanise, shamanize, strengthen, stretch, stretching, tone, train, tumble, weightlift, yoga.
Words nearby exercise
Rhymes with exercise
actualize, advertise, aggrandize, agonize, alphabetize, aluminize, americanize, amortize, analyze, anglicize, antagonize, apologise, apologize, authorize, balkanize, brutalize, burglarize, cannibalize, canonize, capitalize.
Start with exercise
exercises, exercisers, exerciser, exercised.
End with exercise