Definition of douse
- put out, as of a candle or a light; "Douse the lights". Synonyms: put out.
- wet thoroughly. Synonyms: dowse.
- dip into a liquid; "He dipped into the pool". Synonyms: dip, duck.
- immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate; "dip the garment into the cleaning solution", "dip the brush into the paint". Synonyms: dip, dunk, plunge, souse.
- lower quickly; "douse a sail".
- slacken; "douse a rope". Synonyms: dowse.
- cover with liquid; pour liquid onto; "souse water on his hot face". Synonyms: dowse, drench, soak, sop, souse.
bate, bedraggle, brine, dabble, dip, draggle, duck, flush, ret, sluice, sop.
Words nearby douse
bouse, dose, dowse, druse, duse, house, louse, mouse, ouse, rouse, souse.
Rhymes with douse
blouse, boathouse, bouse, crouse, dowse, espouse, gauss, grouse, house, laos, louse, mouse, rouse, spouse, strauss.
Start with douse
douser, douses, doused, dousers.