Definition of as
- to the same degree (often followed by `as'); "they were equally beautiful", "birds were singing and the child sang as sweetly", "sang as sweetly as a nightingale", "he is every bit as mean as she is". Synonyms: equally, every bit.
- a very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms; arsenic and arsenic compounds are used as herbicides and insecticides and various alloys; found in arsenopyrite and orpiment and realgar. Synonyms: As, arsenic, atomic number 33.
- a United States territory on the eastern part of the island of Samoa. Synonyms: AS, American Samoa, Eastern Samoa.
- a metric unit of length equal to one ten billionth of a meter (or 0.0001 micron); used to specify wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. Synonyms: A, angstrom, angstrom unit.
- any of several fat-soluble vitamins essential for normal vision; prevents night blindness or inflammation or dryness of the eyes. Synonyms: A, antiophthalmic factor, axerophthol, vitamin A.
- one of the four nucleotides used in building DNA; all four nucleotides have a common phosphate group and a sugar (ribose). Synonyms: A, deoxyadenosine monophosphate.
- (biochemistry) purine base found in DNA and RNA; pairs with thymine in DNA and with uracil in RNA. Synonyms: A, adenine.
- the basic unit of electric current adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites; "a typical household circuit carries 15 to 50 amps". Synonyms: A, amp, ampere.
- the 1st letter of the Roman alphabet. Synonyms: A, a.
- the blood group whose red cells carry the A antigen. Synonyms: A, group A, type A.
Words nearby as
a, aa, aas, ab, abs, ac, ad, ag, ai, ak, al, als, am, an, ans, ar, ash, ask, asl, asp, ass, at, au, av, ax, az, bs, cs, das, ds, eas, es, fas, gas, hs, ks, ms, oas, os, pas, ps, ras, s, sas, ss, us, vas.
Rhymes with as
jazz, pizzazz, razzmatazz.