Definition of age
- how long something has existed; "it was replaced because of its age".
- an era of history having some distinctive feature; "we live in a litigious age". Synonyms: historic period.
- a time of life (usually defined in years) at which some particular qualification or power arises; "she was now of school age", "tall for his eld". Synonyms: eld.
- a prolonged period of time; "we've known each other for ages", "I haven't been there for years and years". Synonyms: long time, years.
- a late time of life; "old age is not for sissies", "he's showing his years", "age hasn't slowed him down at all", "a beard white with eld", "on the brink of geezerhood". Synonyms: eld, geezerhood, old age, years.
- begin to seem older; get older; "The death of his wife caused him to age fast".
- grow old or older; "She aged gracefully", "we age every day--what a depressing thought!", "Young men senesce". Synonyms: get on, maturate, mature, senesce.
- make older; "The death of his child aged him tremendously". Antonyms: rejuvenate.
aeon, antiquity, dotage, dote, eon, fossilise, fossilize, majority, minority, newness, nonage, oldness, reign, senility, turn, youngness.
Words nearby age
ace, ade, ag, aga, aged, agee, ago, ague, ale, ane, ape, are, ate, awe, axe, cage, gage, ge, ige, page, rage, sage, wage.
Rhymes with age
assuage, backstage, cage, disengage, engage, enrage, gage, gauge, offstage, onstage, osage, page, paige, phage, rage, sage, stage, upstage, wage.
Start with age
ageings, agentives, agents, ageless, agented, agenesis, agendaless, agentings, agency, ageneses, agelessness, ageisms, ager, ageratums, agenizing, agelessly, agentive, aged, agent, agenetic, agenda, agers, ageist, agendum, agenesia, agemates, agedly, ages, agenizes, agenting, agenesias, agendas, agenize, agendums, agedness, ageing, agentries, agelong, ageists, agencies, and 12 more.
End with age
substage, frontpage, metalanguage, alienage, dotage, outrage, cabbage, millage, multistage, disparage, phage, shrinkage, permillage, teenage, comanage, brassage, keelage, tutorage, upstage, leverage, hemorrhage, espionage, spinage, burgage, messuage, brockage, outage, microimage, sublanguage, overmanage, anlage, herbage, appendage, passage, poundage, enrage, peonage, smallage, usage, barrelage, and 379 more.