Definition of advancing
- moving forward. Synonyms: forward, forward-moving.
- move forward, also in the metaphorical sense; "Time marches on". Synonyms: advance, go on, march on, move on, pass on, progress. Antonyms: recede.
- bring forward for consideration or acceptance; "advance an argument". Synonyms: advance, throw out.
- increase or raise; "boost the voltage in an electrical circuit". Synonyms: advance, boost, supercharge.
- contribute to the progress or growth of; "I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom". Synonyms: advance, boost, encourage, further, promote.
- cause to move forward; "Can you move the car seat forward?". Synonyms: advance, bring forward. Antonyms: back.
- obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground", "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference". Synonyms: advance, gain, gain ground, get ahead, make headway, pull ahead, win. Antonyms: fall back.
- develop in a positive way; "He progressed well in school", "My plants are coming along", "Plans are shaping up". Synonyms: advance, come along, come on, get along, get on, progress, shape up. Antonyms: regress.
- develop further; "We are advancing technology every day". Synonyms: advance.
- give a promotion to or assign to a higher position; "John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired", "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms", "I got promoted after many years of hard work". Synonyms: advance, elevate, kick upstairs, promote, raise, upgrade. Antonyms: demote.
- pay in advance; "Can you advance me some money?". Synonyms: advance.
- move forward; "we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward". Synonyms: advance, set ahead.
- rise in rate or price; "The stock market gained 24 points today". Synonyms: advance, gain.
brevet, carry, climb, conduce, contribute, edge, elapse, encroach, ennoble, entitle, favor, favour, feed, forge, foster, further, gentle, help, hit, impinge, inch, infringe, lapse, lead, leapfrog, nose, overhaul, overtake, pass, penetrate, prefer, ratchet, score, spur, steal, string, tally, tenure.
Rhymes with advancing
dancing, financing, financing, financing, lansing.