Definition of adoption
- the act of accepting with approval; favorable reception; "its adoption by society", "the proposal found wide acceptance". Synonyms: acceptance, acceptation, espousal.
- a legal proceeding that creates a parent-child relation between persons not related by blood; the adopted child is entitled to all privileges belonging to a natural child of the adoptive parents (including the right to inherit).
- the appropriation (of ideas or words etc) from another source; "the borrowing of ancient motifs was very apparent". Synonyms: borrowing.
bosom, crossover, embrace, naturalisation, naturalization.
Words nearby adoption
Rhymes with adoption
Start with adoption
adoptionists, adoptions, adoptionisms, adoptionism, adoptionist.
More information about adoption
Scrabble and Words With Friends points
- adoption is a valid Scrabble US word, worth 11 points
- adoption is a valid Scrabble UK word, worth 11 points
- adoption is a valid Words With Friends word, worth 13 points