Definition of admit
- declare to be true or admit the existence or reality or truth of; "He admitted his errors", "She acknowledged that she might have forgotten". Synonyms: acknowledge. Antonyms: deny.
- allow to enter; grant entry to; "We cannot admit non-members into our club building", "This pipe admits air". Synonyms: allow in, intromit, let in. Antonyms: reject.
- allow participation in or the right to be part of; permit to exercise the rights, functions, and responsibilities of; "admit someone to the profession", "She was admitted to the New Jersey Bar". Synonyms: include, let in. Antonyms: exclude.
- admit into a group or community; "accept students for graduate study", "We'll have to vote on whether or not to admit a new member". Synonyms: accept, take, take on.
- afford possibility; "This problem admits of no solution", "This short story allows of several different interpretations". Synonyms: allow.
- give access or entrance to; "The French doors admit onto the yard".
- have room for; hold without crowding; "This hotel can accommodate 250 guests", "The theater admits 300 people", "The auditorium can't hold more than 500 people". Synonyms: accommodate, hold.
- serve as a means of entrance; "This ticket will admit one adult to the show".
attorn, avouch, avow, concede, confess, fink, house, induct, initiate, involve, profess, readmit, repatriate, seat, sleep, squeal, sustain.
Words nearby admit
Rhymes with admit
acquit, befit, bit, brit, britt, chit, commit, emit, fit, flit, get, git, grit, hit, it, kit, knit, lafitte, lit, mit.
Start with admit
admits, admittees, admittee, admittance, admittedly, admitters, admitted, admittances, admitter, admitting.
End with admit
readmit, coadmit, preadmit.