Definition of adjust
- alter or regulate so as to achieve accuracy or conform to a standard; "Adjust the clock, please", "correct the alignment of the front wheels". Synonyms: correct, set.
- place in a line or arrange so as to be parallel or straight; "align the car with the curb", "align the sheets of paper on the table". Synonyms: align, aline, line up. Antonyms: skew.
- adapt or conform oneself to new or different conditions; "We must adjust to the bad economic situation". Synonyms: adapt, conform.
- make correspondent or conformable; "Adjust your eyes to the darkness".
- decide how much is to be paid on an insurance claim.
acclimate, acclimatise, acclimatize, address, align, assimilate, attune, calibrate, citify, collimate, concenter, concentre, coordinate, decompress, depressurise, depressurize, fit, focalise, focalize, focus, graduate, harmonise, harmonize, justify, linearise, linearize, match, modulate, obey, ordinate, plumb, pressurise, pressurize, proportion, readapt, readjust, realign, realine, reconcile, regulate, reset, set, sharpen, square, sync, synchronise, synchronize, temper, time, trim, true, tune, zero.
Words nearby adjust
Rhymes with adjust
antitrust, bust, combust, crust, cussed, disgust, distrust, dust, encrust, entrust, gust, incrust, just, lust, mistrust, must, nonplussed, readjust, robust, rust.
Start with adjust
adjustability, adjustive, adjustor, adjusted, adjusts, adjustment, adjustmental, adjustabilities, adjusters, adjustments, adjustors, adjuster, adjusting, adjustable.
End with adjust
misadjust, readjust, preadjust.