Definition of address
- (computer science) the code that identifies where a piece of information is stored. Synonyms: computer address, reference.
- the place where a person or organization can be found or communicated with.
- the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience; "he listened to an address on minor Roman poets". Synonyms: speech.
- the manner of speaking to another individual; "he failed in his manner of address to the captain".
- a sign in front of a house or business carrying the conventional form by which its location is described.
- written directions for finding some location; written on letters or packages that are to be delivered to that location. Synonyms: destination, name and address.
- the stance assumed by a golfer in preparation for hitting a golf ball.
- social skill. Synonyms: savoir-faire.
- speak to; "He addressed the crowd outside the window". Synonyms: turn to.
- give a speech to; "The chairman addressed the board of trustees". Synonyms: speak.
- put an address on (an envelope). Synonyms: direct.
- direct a question at someone.
- address or apply oneself to something, direct one's efforts towards something, such as a question.
- greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name; "He always addresses me with `Sir'", "Call me Mister", "She calls him by first name". Synonyms: call.
- access or locate by address.
- act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression; "This book deals with incest", "The course covered all of Western Civilization", "The new book treats the history of China". Synonyms: cover, deal, handle, plow, treat.
- speak to someone. Synonyms: accost, come up to.
- adjust and aim (a golf ball) at in preparation of hitting.
abode, allocution, approach, argument, ask, call, colloquium, discourse, discuss, dithyramb, greet, harangue, impromptu, inaugural, instrument, keynote, lecture, litany, memorialise, memorialize, misaddress, misdirect, oratory, parameter, preaching, recognise, recognize, residence, sermon, speaking, speechmaking, talk, theologise, theologize.
Rhymes with address
abscess, access, angriness, bashfulness, carefulness, excess, faithfulness, grumpiness, headdress, impress, letterpress, outguess, overdress, pensiveness, process, process, progress, watercress.
Start with address
addressing, addressers, addresses, addressed, addresser, addressee, addressors, addressor, addressable, addressability, addressees.
End with address
misaddress, headdress, readdress.