Definition of addition
- a component that is added to something to improve it; "the addition of a bathroom was a major improvement", "the addition of cinnamon improved the flavor". Synonyms: add-on, improver.
- the act of adding one thing to another; "the addition of flowers created a pleasing effect", "the addition of a leap day every four years". Antonyms: subtraction.
- a quantity that is added; "there was an addition to property taxes this year", "they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks". Synonyms: gain, increase.
- something added to what you already have; "the librarian shelved the new accessions", "he was a new addition to the staff". Synonyms: accession.
- a suburban area laid out in streets and lots for a future residential area.
- the arithmetic operation of summing; calculating the sum of two or more numbers; "the summation of four and three gives seven", "four plus three equals seven". Synonyms: plus, summation.
accretion, additive, afterthought, annex, annexe, attachment, elongation, extension, fluoridation, fluoridisation, fluoridization, retrofit, wing.
Words nearby addition
Rhymes with addition
abolition, academician, acquisition, admission, admission, admonition, ambition, ammunition, apparition, attrition, audition, clinician, coalition, cognition, commission, competition, composition, condition, contrition, decommission.
Start with addition
additionally, additional, additions.
End with addition