Definition of acquired
- gotten through environmental forces; "acquired characteristics (such as a suntan or a broken nose) cannot be passed on".
- come into the possession of something concrete or abstract; "She got a lot of paintings from her uncle", "They acquired a new pet", "Get your results the next day", "Get permission to take a few days off from work". Synonyms: acquire, get.
- take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone", "The story took a new turn", "he adopted an air of superiority", "She assumed strange manners", "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables". Synonyms: acquire, adopt, assume, take, take on.
- come to have or undergo a change of (physical features and attributes); "He grew a beard", "The patient developed abdominal pains", "I got funny spots all over my body", "Well-developed breasts". Synonyms: acquire, develop, get, grow, produce.
- locate (a moving entity) by means of a tracking system such as radar. Synonyms: acquire.
- win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese", "Gain an understanding of international finance". Synonyms: acquire, gain, win. Antonyms: lose.
- gain knowledge or skills; "She learned dancing from her sister", "I learned Sanskrit", "Children acquire language at an amazing rate". Synonyms: acquire, larn, learn.
- gain through experience; "I acquired a strong aversion to television", "Children must develop a sense of right and wrong", "Dave developed leadership qualities in his new position", "develop a passion for painting". Synonyms: acquire, develop, evolve.
absorb, accept, acquire, assimilate, benefit, borrow, buy, capture, catch, charter, clear, collect, cozen, cut, earn, engage, express, extract, feather, find, fledge, gain, garner, get, glom, have, hire, ingest, inherit, isolate, leaf, lease, make, obtain, partake, pod, poll, preempt, profit, pupate, purchase, realise, realize, receive, reclaim, recoup, recover, recuperate, regain, regrow, relearn, rent, repossess, retrieve, share, spring, sprout, stock, stool, study, take, teethe, tiller, turn, win.
Words nearby acquired
Rhymes with acquired
admired, desired, fired, hired, inspired, required, retired, tired, unexpired, uninspired, wired.
End with acquired