Definition of acquire
- come into the possession of something concrete or abstract; "She got a lot of paintings from her uncle", "They acquired a new pet", "Get your results the next day", "Get permission to take a few days off from work". Synonyms: get.
- take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone", "The story took a new turn", "he adopted an air of superiority", "She assumed strange manners", "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables". Synonyms: adopt, assume, take, take on.
- come to have or undergo a change of (physical features and attributes); "He grew a beard", "The patient developed abdominal pains", "I got funny spots all over my body", "Well-developed breasts". Synonyms: develop, get, grow, produce.
- locate (a moving entity) by means of a tracking system such as radar.
- win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese", "Gain an understanding of international finance". Synonyms: gain, win. Antonyms: lose.
- gain knowledge or skills; "She learned dancing from her sister", "I learned Sanskrit", "Children acquire language at an amazing rate". Synonyms: larn, learn.
- gain through experience; "I acquired a strong aversion to television", "Children must develop a sense of right and wrong", "Dave developed leadership qualities in his new position", "develop a passion for painting". Synonyms: develop, evolve.
absorb, accept, assimilate, benefit, borrow, buy, capture, catch, charter, clear, collect, cozen, cut, earn, engage, express, extract, feather, find, fledge, gain, garner, get, glom, have, hire, ingest, inherit, isolate, leaf, lease, make, obtain, partake, pod, poll, preempt, profit, pupate, purchase, realise, realize, receive, reclaim, recoup, recover, recuperate, regain, regrow, relearn, rent, repossess, retrieve, share, spring, sprout, stock, stool, study, take, teethe, tiller, turn, win.
Words nearby acquire
Rhymes with acquire
attire, briar, brier, buyer, choir, conspire, crier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, fire, flier, flyer, friar, frier, fryer.
Start with acquire
acquired, acquirer, acquiree, acquirements, acquirement, acquirees, acquires, acquirers.
End with acquire