Definition of accounting
- a convincing explanation that reveals basic causes; "he was unable to give a clear accounting for his actions".
- a system that provides quantitative information about finances.
- the occupation of maintaining and auditing records and preparing financial reports for a business. Synonyms: accountancy.
- a bookkeeper's chronological list of related debits and credits of a business; forms part of a ledger of accounts. Synonyms: accounting system, method of accounting.
- a statement of recent transactions and the resulting balance; "they send me an accounting every month". Synonyms: account, account statement.
- be the sole or primary factor in the existence, acquisition, supply, or disposal of something; "Passing grades account for half of the grades given in this exam". Synonyms: account.
- keep an account of. Synonyms: account, calculate.
- to give an account or representation of in words; "Discreet Italian police described it in a manner typically continental". Synonyms: account, describe, report.
- furnish a justifying analysis or explanation; "I can't account for the missing money". Synonyms: account, answer for.
audit, balance, bill, bookkeeping, charge, clerking, compound, credit, debit, entry, overbalance, review.
Rhymes with accounting
counting, mounting, recounting, recounting.
Start with accounting
More information about accounting
Scrabble and Words With Friends points
- accounting is a valid Scrabble US word, worth 15 points
- accounting is a valid Scrabble UK word, worth 15 points
- accounting is a valid Words With Friends word, worth 21 points