Definition of accepting
- tolerating without protest; "always more accepting of coaching suggestion than her teammates", "the atmosphere was judged to be more supporting and accepting".
- consider or hold as true; "I cannot accept the dogma of this church", "accept an argument". Synonyms: accept. Antonyms: reject.
- receive willingly something given or offered; "The only girl who would have him was the miller's daughter", "I won't have this dog in my house!", "Please accept my present". Synonyms: accept, have, take. Antonyms: refuse.
- give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to; "I cannot accept your invitation", "I go for this resolution". Synonyms: accept, consent, go for. Antonyms: refuse.
- react favorably to; consider right and proper; "People did not accept atonal music at that time", "We accept the idea of universal health care". Synonyms: accept.
- admit into a group or community; "accept students for graduate study", "We'll have to vote on whether or not to admit a new member". Synonyms: accept, admit, take, take on.
- take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person; "I'll accept the charges", "She agreed to bear the responsibility". Synonyms: accept, assume, bear, take over.
- tolerate or accommodate oneself to; "I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions", "I swallowed the insult", "She has learned to live with her husband's little idiosyncrasies". Synonyms: accept, live with, swallow.
- be designed to hold or take; "This surface will not take the dye". Synonyms: accept, take.
- receive (a report) officially, as from a committee. Synonyms: accept.
- make use of or accept for some purpose; "take a risk", "take an opportunity". Synonyms: accept, take.
- be sexually responsive to, used of a female domesticated mammal; "The cow accepted the bull". Synonyms: accept.
accept, acknowledge, admit, adopt, agree, allow, approbate, believe, borrow, countenance, embrace, espouse, give, honor, honour, know, let, observe, permit, profess, receive, recognise, recognize, reconcile, resign, respect, settle, submit, succumb, take, undertake, welcome, yield.
Words nearby accepting
Start with accepting
acceptingnesses, acceptingly, acceptingness.
End with accepting