Definition of accept
- consider or hold as true; "I cannot accept the dogma of this church", "accept an argument". Antonyms: reject.
- receive willingly something given or offered; "The only girl who would have him was the miller's daughter", "I won't have this dog in my house!", "Please accept my present". Synonyms: have, take. Antonyms: refuse.
- give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to; "I cannot accept your invitation", "I go for this resolution". Synonyms: consent, go for. Antonyms: refuse.
- react favorably to; consider right and proper; "People did not accept atonal music at that time", "We accept the idea of universal health care".
- admit into a group or community; "accept students for graduate study", "We'll have to vote on whether or not to admit a new member". Synonyms: admit, take, take on.
- take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person; "I'll accept the charges", "She agreed to bear the responsibility". Synonyms: assume, bear, take over.
- tolerate or accommodate oneself to; "I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions", "I swallowed the insult", "She has learned to live with her husband's little idiosyncrasies". Synonyms: live with, swallow.
- be designed to hold or take; "This surface will not take the dye". Synonyms: take.
- receive (a report) officially, as from a committee.
- make use of or accept for some purpose; "take a risk", "take an opportunity". Synonyms: take.
- be sexually responsive to, used of a female domesticated mammal; "The cow accepted the bull".
acknowledge, admit, adopt, agree, allow, approbate, believe, borrow, countenance, embrace, espouse, give, honor, honour, know, let, observe, permit, profess, receive, recognise, recognize, reconcile, resign, respect, settle, submit, succumb, take, undertake, welcome, yield.
Words nearby accept
Rhymes with accept
adept, except, inept, intercept, intercept, kept, sept, swept.
Start with accept
accepted, acceptability, acceptant, acceptive, acceptable, acceptableness, acceptations, accepts, acceptingness, acceptees, acceptors, acceptances, acceptingnesses, acceptee, accepters, acceptance, acceptedly, acceptation, acceptingly, accepting, accepter, acceptabilities, acceptor, acceptably.
End with accept