Definition of absurd
- inconsistent with reason or logic or common sense; - Walter Lippman; "the absurd predicament of seeming to argue that virtue is highly desirable but intensely unpleasant".
- incongruous;inviting ridicule; "the absurd excuse that the dog ate his homework", "that's a cockeyed idea", "ask a nonsensical question and get a nonsensical answer", "a contribution so small as to be laughable", "it is ludicrous to call a cottage a mansion", "a preposterous attempt to turn back the pages of history", "her conceited assumption of universal interest in her rather dull children was ridiculous". Synonyms: cockeyed, derisory, idiotic, laughable, ludicrous, nonsensical, preposterous, ridiculous.
- a situation in which life seems irrational and meaningless; --Albert Camus; "The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth". Synonyms: the absurd.
Rhymes with absurd
bird, blurred, byrd, curd, gird, heard, herd, interred, kurd, nerd, preferred, preferred, preferred, reword, slurred, stirred, third, uncured, undeterred, unheard.
Start with absurd
absurdness, absurdly, absurds, absurdest, absurdnesses, absurdity, absurdism, absurdist, absurdisms, absurder, absurdists, absurdities.
More information about absurd
Scrabble and Words With Friends points
- absurd is a valid Scrabble US word, worth 9 points
- absurd is a valid Scrabble UK word, worth 9 points
- absurd is a valid Words With Friends word, worth 11 points