Definition of abstraction
- a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance; "he loved her only in the abstract--not in person". Synonyms: abstract.
- the act of withdrawing or removing something.
- the process of formulating general concepts by abstracting common properties of instances. Synonyms: generalisation, generalization.
- an abstract painting.
- preoccupation with something to the exclusion of all else. Synonyms: abstractedness.
- a general concept formed by extracting common features from specific examples. Synonyms: abstract entity.
absolute, amount, attribute, communication, group, grouping, measure, otherworld, quantity, relation, reverie, revery, right, set, teacher, thing.
Rhymes with abstraction
action, attraction, contraction, diffraction, dissatisfaction, distraction, exaction, extraction, faction, fraction, inaction, infraction, interaction, interaction, liquefaction, reaction, retraction, satisfaction, satisfaction, subtraction.
Start with abstraction
abstractions, abstractional, abstractionist, abstractionists, abstractionism, abstractionisms.
End with abstraction