Definition of absorption
- (chemistry) a process in which one substance permeates another; a fluid permeates or is dissolved by a liquid or solid. Synonyms: soaking up.
- (physics) the process in which incident radiated energy is retained without reflection or transmission on passing through a medium; "the absorption of photons by atoms or molecules".
- the social process of absorbing one cultural group into harmony with another. Synonyms: assimilation.
- the process of absorbing nutrients into the body after digestion. Synonyms: assimilation.
- complete attention; intense mental effort. Synonyms: concentration, engrossment, immersion.
- the mental state of being preoccupied by something. Synonyms: engrossment, preoccupancy, preoccupation.
abstractedness, abstraction, anabolism, centering, direction, focus, focusing, focussing, imbibition, malabsorption, specialism, study.
Words nearby absorption
Rhymes with absorption
Start with absorption
End with absorption
More information about absorption
Scrabble and Words With Friends points
- absorption is a valid Scrabble US word, worth 14 points
- absorption is a valid Scrabble UK word, worth 14 points
- absorption is a valid Words With Friends word, worth 17 points