Definition of absorbed
- giving or marked by complete attention to; ; ; - Walter de la Mare; "that engrossed look or rapt delight", "then wrapped in dreams", "so intent on this fantastic...narrative that she hardly stirred", "rapt with wonder", "wrapped in thought". Synonyms: captive, engrossed, enwrapped, intent, wrapped.
- retained without reflection; "the absorbed light intensity".
- become imbued; "The liquids, light, and gases absorb". Synonyms: absorb.
- take up mentally; "he absorbed the knowledge or beliefs of his tribe". Synonyms: absorb, assimilate, ingest, take in.
- take up, as of debts or payments; "absorb the costs for something". Synonyms: absorb, take over.
- take in, also metaphorically; "The sponge absorbs water well", "She drew strength from the minister's words". Synonyms: absorb, draw, imbibe, soak up, sop up, suck, suck up, take in, take up.
- cause to become one with; "The sales tax is absorbed into the state income tax". Synonyms: absorb.
- suck or take up or in; "A black star absorbs all matter". Synonyms: absorb, take in. Antonyms: emit.
- devote (oneself) fully to; "He immersed himself into his studies". Synonyms: absorb, engross, engulf, immerse, plunge, soak up, steep.
- assimilate or take in; "The immigrants were quickly absorbed into society". Synonyms: absorb.
- consume all of one's attention or time; "Her interest in butterflies absorbs her completely". Synonyms: absorb, engage, engross, occupy.
assimilate, blot, consume, drink, imbibe, involve, mop, reabsorb, resorb, rivet, suck.
Words nearby absorbed
End with absorbed
unabsorbed, reabsorbed, preabsorbed.
More information about absorbed
Scrabble and Words With Friends points
- absorbed is a valid Scrabble US word, worth 13 points
- absorbed is a valid Scrabble UK word, worth 13 points
- absorbed is a valid Words With Friends word, worth 15 points