Definition of abridge
- reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened". Synonyms: abbreviate, contract, cut, foreshorten, reduce, shorten. Antonyms: expand.
- lessen, diminish, or curtail; "the new law might abridge our freedom of expression".
bowdlerise, bowdlerize, castrate, concentrate, condense, digest, expurgate, shorten.
Words nearby abridge
abridged, abridger, bridge.
Rhymes with abridge
bridge, fridge, midge, ridge.
Start with abridge
abridged, abridgement, abridges, abridger, abridgements, abridgers.
More information about abridge
Scrabble and Words With Friends points
- abridge is a valid Scrabble US word, worth 11 points
- abridge is a valid Scrabble UK word, worth 11 points
- abridge is a valid Words With Friends word, worth 13 points