Definition of about
- on the move; "up and about", "the whole town was astir over the incident". Synonyms: astir.
- (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct; "lasted approximately an hour", "in just about a minute", "he's about 30 years old", "I've had about all I can stand", "we meet about once a month", "some forty people came", "weighs around a hundred pounds", "roughly $3,000", "holds 3 gallons, more or less", "20 or so people were at the party". Synonyms: approximately, around, close to, just about, more or less, or so, roughly, some.
- all around or on all sides; "dirty clothes lying around (or about)", "let's look about for help", "There were trees growing all around", "she looked around her". Synonyms: around.
- in the area or vicinity; "a few spectators standing about", "hanging around", "waited around for the next flight". Synonyms: around.
- used of movement to or among many different places or in no particular direction; "wandering about with no place to go", "people were rushing about", "news gets around (or about)", "traveled around in Asia", "he needs advice from someone who's been around", "she sleeps around". Synonyms: around.
- in or to a reversed position or direction; "about face", "suddenly she turned around". Synonyms: around.
- in rotation or succession; "turn about is fair play".
- (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but; "the job is (just) about done", "the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded", "we're almost finished", "the car all but ran her down", "he nearly fainted", "talked for nigh onto 2 hours", "the recording is well-nigh perfect", "virtually all the parties signed the contract", "I was near exhausted by the run", "most everyone agrees". Synonyms: almost, most, near, nearly, nigh, virtually, well-nigh.
Words nearby about
abort, abut, bout.
Rhymes with about
bout, clout, devout, doubt, drought, flout, gout, grout, kraut, lout, out, pout, redoubt, rout, route, scout, shout, snout, spout, sprout.
End with about
stirabout, knockabout, runabout, roustabout, hereabout, roundabout, turnabout, whereabout, gadabout, walkabout, thereabout, rouseabout, layabout, marabout.