Definition of abandon
- the trait of lacking restraint or control; reckless freedom from inhibition or worry; "she danced with abandon". Synonyms: unconstraint, wantonness.
- a feeling of extreme emotional intensity; "the wildness of his anger". Synonyms: wildness.
- forsake, leave behind; "We abandoned the old car in the empty parking lot".
- give up with the intent of never claiming again; "Abandon your life to God", "She gave up her children to her ex-husband when she moved to Tahiti", "We gave the drowning victim up for dead". Synonyms: give up.
- leave behind empty; move out of; "You must vacate your office by tonight". Synonyms: empty, vacate.
- stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas or claims; "He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage", "Both sides have to give up some claims in these negotiations". Synonyms: give up.
- leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch; "The mother deserted her children". Synonyms: desert, desolate, forsake.
chuck, consign, ditch, expose, forego, foreswear, forfeit, forgo, maroon, quit, relinquish, renounce, strand, waive.
Rhymes with abandon
Start with abandon
abandons, abandonments, abandoner, abandoners, abandonment, abandoning, abandoned.
More information about abandon
Scrabble and Words With Friends points
- abandon is a valid Scrabble US word, worth 10 points
- abandon is a valid Scrabble UK word, worth 10 points
- abandon is a valid Words With Friends word, worth 13 points